Thursday, February 26, 2009

Suffering of an Islomaniac at Kapas Island
















Am a Islomaniac !

An islomaniac is a rare affiction of spirit,,,of people who find islands somehow irresistible and being on one is indescribable intoxication.
Its my dream which I make come true,,,,,to live on a remote tropical island, with a coconut bar and a small boat for fishing or renting out for a little cash income to purchase its petrol. Forget about the kids since they are grown up and having their career to lead and just lie here in a hammock in the evening, sipping my home made tuak/rice wine and watching the sunset every evening.
Guess only another islomaniac could kind of understand the power island can exert on the mind and heart of man, the way they can stir up feelings of love, contentment and belonging.
Life on an island is simple and satisfying,,,,,,if you are the right kind of person for it. If you crave adventure and new experience, you will find in islands a happiness that’s inexpressible, something real and vital you will never forget. However if you can’t live without all the conveniences of modern life,,,newspaper, cinema, air-con, TV,,,,please stay put at your home in the city !.
Today a tropical island is most people’s idea of an ideal holiday destination. Yet not too long ago in the 19th century, they are seen as remote backwater where condemned criminals, failed bureaucrats and society’s misfits were exiled.
Islands also attracts eccentrics, repository of castaways, hermits, beachcombers, artists, writers, exiles, hermits, expatriates, pirates, buried treasures and the fabulously wealthy,,,,,in other words, they make great stories, both real and fictitious.
With tourism becoming one of the world’s largest industries, more and more visitors are competing for a limited amount of islands.
Over the past couple of years, isolation has ceased to be a form of deprivation. In fact I find isolation becoming a scarcest commodity. Too many people are visiting my hideaway at Pulau Kapas nowadays.
All my life I have been an escapist. I wanted to be anywhere apart from the mind-numbing suburbia in which I felt trapped and constricted by the small minds and smaller aspirations of those surrounding me.
Maybe, I have to find another unexplored or untouched island ?.,,,,saw many new islands at Kenyir dam from the air recently eeemmmmmm.
If not, why not ?. Anyone interested in an inland island ?.

8 comments:

  1. I want to buy Kapas Island!!!!

    I have 53 ringgit!

    Bole ka????

    ReplyDelete
  2. makcik gemok resort at kapas for sale rm3.5m only
    rm53 get you 2 nights dorm stay and a coke !,,,you go hungry haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Capt., I'm a water-fearing, islophobic landlubber. Need to have my feet on solid ground. So no swashbuckling, one-eyed pirate can capture me. No point anyway - no one will pay the ransom. Sad ain'it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. coke? coke?

    Alaaaa...teh tarik is my poison...dorm?? dorm??

    Alaaa...tak suka share toilet la bang....

    makcik gemok 3.5 million...OOHHHHHH I WILL BE HANS' WORST NIGHTMARE...MUAHAHAHAHAHAH....

    JAP! NAK PI KIRA DUIT KAT TABUNG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladies,

    I had just came back from a swim in the blue waters plus saying hello to fascinating marine life, passed a few barracuda,,,such colourful marinelife,,,whats a pity Zendy an aslophobic landlubber indeed you will miss the underwater beauty ! what a waste ! unfortunately i can't affort an underwater camera right now, to show you pic. of the watery mysteries of kapas island.
    kapaspirates only robs the ladies heart so they will leave the island heartless ,,,,yoohohoo.

    Capt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, you pirate king... sounds like you are onto something.. my kids are all grown now, I'm divorced and I'm kinda taking back my life and my future.. how abut an esoteric, jazz guitar player/song writer/singer to help you with your rice wine (I'd like your recipe), I could see myself waxing poetic and getting into the rhythm of the islands.. I like to sail too.. I like your blog, but I travel a lot and don't get online very often, so if I don't respond right away, I'll check you out when I can ... we can discuss the zen of it all.... :?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahoy Capt! you're one lucky guy who can embrace nature up close, the underwater beauty is one thing that i never get to explore yet...never even get to snorkel before too! what a waste right? maybe i will get my chance to do it someday..until then..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aweenm,,,,,,,you will learn to love the underworld once you experience the
    peace and tranquility of the underwater world,,,,whether it's chilling out with a turtle or just watching a shark swim gracefully by.,,,,,it's my way to get away from it all.
    ,,,,,,,promise to teach you to swim within 30 minutes and snorkel next before your 1st discovery dive the next day !

    cheers,

    Capt.

    ReplyDelete